Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fun at the Capitol O

      Oklahoma City that is!  Last week we went to the State Capitol Building in the city to take our Dawson to receive his award for the "Be Smart, Don't Start" (smoking) Storyboard contest.  There were   only 18  children who received awards from both Western and Eastern Oklahoma, so it felt like a pretty big deal to Mr. Dawson :)  He was asked to take a picture with our area representive, Steve Martin and Senator, John Ford,not to mention, BLAZE the Braggin' Blue Dragon (mascot for Blue Cross Blue Shield).  Each child was recognized as their storyboards were displayed, and given a medal as well.  The winners also were given a goody bag with items that included a T-shirt and a $25 dollar visa gift card!  I think he felt like the star of the day and we were all happy for him and proud.
        The other kiddos and mom and dad enjoyed the day as well.  We met up with another State Senator, Rick Brinkley.  He is a friend who has been there for Lee since he was young and helped us begin our lives together by marrying us, conducting funerals for our loved ones, and was there for baby dedications.  He is a busy, busy man who has many jobs and wears many hats, but has the ability to make you feel as if you're his one and only priority and that you are important.  On this particular day, he put a meeting on hold so to take my babies on a bit of a tour of the beautiful building- it was very educational and enjoyable to my oldest Kayli, Dawson was still on a high from the BIG day he had, Wyatt  thought Rick was the coolest guy ever, who saved his day by having Oreos in his office:)  Carter was taken with him as well, I think he felt the "Peepaw" vibe he had about him!  
        The trip to OKC was actually a mini vacation, for we shopped and ate good food and went some places, met up with friends and the biggest deal of all-stayed in a hotel with indoor pool!  Indoor pool=fun  for my kiddos, and it did give our Carter the opportunity to swim for the first time!  He is a fishy like the others-he loved it!
        It turned out to be a fabulously fun little trip and by writing this on my blog now, I can print it off as I do my other posts so  hopefully my kids will remember it always!
        
Oklahoma State Seal

                                     View of the beautiful dome at the top of the Capitol building.
Waiting for the awards ceremony to start, in the Governor's Blue room.

                         Dawson pointing out his winning storyboard to Representative, Steve Martin.
                                                           Meeting Senator, John Ford.
                                                  Dawson  with Senator,  Rick Brinkley.
                                           Rick showing the us his desk in the Senate Chamber.
                                               In the Senator's Lounge, checking out the art.
                                                A great couple of guys, in my opinion!
                                                 We went some places, Bricktown.
                                                         Met up with some friends:)
                                            And of COURSE, there was the SWIMMING!

2 comments:

  1. What fun! Congrats to Dawson!! I'm gonna miss that boy next year! :(

    He told me today that Carter has the "Duh" part of Mrs. Davis down!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I found your blog through Rick Brinkley's facebook. I just finished ready your blog and love the stories you tell about your kids. And please tell Dawson What a great job he did from me and that I hope he enjoyed seeing Rick. Because I have to agree with you, since he's my cousin, that he is a great guy. I am a new follower of your blog now and can't wait to read more great stories. Aren't kids great? I love following Oklahoma bloggers since I too am from OK and only live about 45 minutes from you towards the South. If you get a chance hop on by and check my blog out. www.3creativechics.com
    It was nice finding you and your blog.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete