Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Me and Jenny was like peas and carrots

             "Momma, tell us a story 'bout when you was a little girl-please!"  This is the plea that I often hear when the other excuses are exhausted...anything to keep from going to sleep, ya know.  I just so happened to be feeling a bit nostalgic anyway, so I gave in.  "What is it you are wanting to hear about tonight guys?" I said as I plopped down between Dawson and Wyatt on their bed.   "Tell us about when you and Uncle Brad were at Grandmas and you dropped that banana!"    Ahh...the old favorite, "We have heard that one lots of times, hmm.... have I ever told you the story about me and best friend?" 
         Dawson just  assumed I meant Daddy, and YES daddy is my very BEST FRIEND :)            "I know, it's LISA!!"  Wyatt piped up.  Also Correct~ Lisa is my best good friend, (BGF), so named as not to take away from the hubs' title.   They know I "talk " to Lisa nearly everyday on the 'Puter and/or on the phone with texting- as we have shared an amazing friendship for nearly 30 years , my true soul sister, and I thank God for her!  Speaking of God,  I have recently realized how he has always put special friends in my life,and placed them close  just when I need them.   They may fade in and out of my life quickly, but I am CONVINCED they each were placed in my path for a reason,and I am so excited to be able to stay in touch with many of them today.  Which brings me to Jenny Jo.
          Jenny and her family moved in across the street when I was 12.  I  had some good friends who lived Cadiwompus across the street the the other way, who to this day are like my sisters, and we befriended the new girl.  She was outgoing, adorable and fun, and it was always a good time with with Jenny.  Soon Jenny and I discovered we shared a love, or maybe more of an Obsession with the group, New Kids On The Block, or NKOTB :)  It's a bit ironic that as I type  one of their songs just came on the 80's and 90's music station I'm listening to... takes me back to her house, downstairs, after school, a snack, (& her sweet little sis) and a VHS tape of the New Kids  appearing as guests on some T.V show ( we knew and recorded every appearance they made) or watched their music videos as we tried to learn the dance moves, so we would have them memorized when we joined them on the road as roadies, and later on in life after we were both Mrs. Joey McIntyre.  (no clue how that was gonna work)
          Most all of our spare time was spent scheming for ways to meet them, see them, collecting all types of memorabilia and taping that to our walls, to our mothers dismay.  It was a great time and we were convinced we WERE their biggest fans.  We somehow convinced her parents to take us on a road trip to OKC and see them live, and my dad to take us to KC and see them as well.  We schemed and planned even when her sassiness had gotten her grounded ,yet again, which meant no going places, playing outside, or telephone..ugh-torture.  Good thing for our lil' brother and sis  to help us communicate by sending notes -No fancy cell phone texting back in the late 80's!!  Once we even tried to come up with a communciation system by flashing our bedroom lights to each other, which  did not work by the way, and that  is the story I told my boys about on this night.  They were entertained immensely at mom's silly antics and started in asking  all about Jenny and me.  
          Joe,   Jenny's dad was a Methodist Minister and so being a typical PK she had moved several times, but I  explained to the teary eyed boys how I was not prepared for her move, after just a couple of short years together!  " My best friend might be moving away too mom, so I understand".  I had shared with Dawson the fact that his best friend from Kindergarten may be moving away and so he was sweetly trying to sympathize.  I even told them about the day I stood in the street bawling my eyes out, waving goodbye to her as she pulled out of her drive for the very last time and moved to Canada.  It was hard enough to see her go, but moving to an entirely different country,eh?   I continued with details of her beautiful and artistic mom, her pretty little sister, and her sweet and silly daddy.  They couldn't wait for me to show them picures  and let them "talk" to Jenny  on facebook.  They couldn't imagine that I haven't seen her in person for ten whole years-ever since the night she showed up randomly at the house I grew up in, on her road trip.  I was coincidently at my parents house when the doorbell rang and my mom's dinner guest had come out back by the pool where I was sitting to tell me I had a visitor.  I was puzzled and waddled inside only to go face to face with my Jenny- the screaming and jumping we did nearly brought my Kayli early, for I was 6 months pregnant!!  There  had been cards and letters and visits- but  not in more than 5 years.   Too long to go without face time with your BFF- BEST FRIENDS FOREVER- she was the first person who I had ever used that label on, and although we both realize that in our lives we had to make other besties , much to do with the distance between us physically- she will always be my BFF :)

I will leave you with an ancient Chinese Proverb~ Never use a hatchet to remove a fly from your best friends forehead.                 ( I have no idea,lol, but it makes me smile)

                           The sweet family  that moved in across the street :)


Jenny's house!

 I refrained from posting some pics that would date us for sure, the styles were hideous- but had to add this one-
Jenny, me, my little brother, and her little sis (pretty sure this was immediately after we finished getting our hair permantly straightened)
 Okay, this one dates us a bit, the acid washed  guess jeans and shirt, the big fluffy hair-I chose it because she is probably the most amazing photographer I know!
We met in Texas for a quick visit in High School- here she is clicking again and looking beautiful even while acting goofy-  go check out her blog to see a pic of her, all grown up and her gorgeous photography and if you are ever in the province of Alberta, look her up :)
LaDiDaLane Photography

1 comment:

  1. I had a BFF in junior high named Jennifer Jo! (Through FB, we've reconnected!)

    ReplyDelete